Job Title: Lifeguard FLSA Status: Non-exempt, P/T
Reports to: Alex Vandermeys, Program Director
Dates: May-Early June / September – October 15, weekend and weekday afternoons
June – August regular hours are available.
Wages: $16 / hour
The YMCA at Camp Arroyo is looking for talented, experienced Lifeguards to join our team for the summer! Support the programs and missions of the Y and the Taylor Family Foundation. Your main responsibilities as a Lifeguard include maintaining a safe swimming environment in the pool, on the pool deck and surrounding areas, responding to emergencies, and creating a safe and positive atmosphere.
- Prevents incidents by maintaining active surveillance of the pool area at all times using American Red Cross standards such as constant scanning, shifting surveillance positions and uninterrupted focus.
- Knows & reviews all emergency procedures and responds to emergency situations immediately in accordance with YMCA policies & standards. Completes related reports as required.
- Maintains effective, positive relationships with members, participants and other staff.
- Knows, understands, and consistently applies safety rules, policies and guidelines for the pool and aquatic areas, such as maintaining appropriate lifeguard to swimmer ratios.
- Wears appropriate attire that demonstrates lifeguarding role and equips self for all safety & rescue functions.
- Checks rescue equipment and pool for hazardous conditions, and promptly report problems.
- Performs chemical testing when not guarding, as required and takes appropriate action, including record maintenance.
- Attends all staff meetings and in-service trainings.
- Supports special events, assists in other areas, and perform other duties as required.
- Certifications: YMCA or American Red Cross Lifeguard, CPR, AED & First Aid or equivalent
- Ability to maintain certification-level of physical and mental readiness
- Able to remain calm and rational in emergencies
- Good people skills: outgoing, friendly, and patient
- At least 17 years of age as of May 1st
- Download the job application at www.camparroyo.org, click the Careers tab.
- Return application and Cover Letter by fax to (925) 455-7977, email to email@example.com, or mail to 5535 Arroyo Rd., Livermore, CA 94550.
The YMCA of the East Bay is an equal opportunity employer. So join us! We can use someone like you.
- Salary Range $16/hr