For more than 60 years, the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) has applied science and technology to make the world a safer place.
We have an opening for a Sr. Scientific Technologist. You will provide technical support and solve technical problems involving the calibration, maintenance, and repair of industrial hygiene instruments, as well as conducting HEPA filter testing following ES&H and Quality Assurance/Quality Control guidelines. This position is in the Industrial Hygiene Instrument Laboratory (IHIL) within the Analytical Services and Instrumentation Division.
– Act as a liaison between the ES&H disciplines, field technicians and clients to provide safe, reliable industrial hygiene portable instrumentation in a timely manner. Calibrate, maintain, troubleshoot and make mechanical and/or electrical repairs to industrial hygiene portable instrumentation and supporting equipment. Evaluate data provided by these instruments to assure they are calibrated.
– Perform moderately complex routine technical procedures related to the testing of HEPA/HEGA filters including assessing the operation of aerosol/compressed air generators; measuring efficiency using photometers; measuring pressure drop across filters; measuring airflow through filters to identify if equipment is functioning properly and if not, identify and implement the necessary correction steps.
– Analyze test result data to identify deficiency points on specific devices, suggest corrective action and maintain records of results to guide QA efforts for the Instrument Lab group.
– Serve as a resource to assist clients in safe work practices to ensure compliance with established ES&H regulations and procedures. Provide safety criteria and instrument training to clients.
– Establish and implement safety guidelines related to industrial hygiene instruments. Inventory testing instruments, related equipment, and repair parts in stock and initiate procurement of replacements.
– Develop laboratory and instrument-related procedures (e.g., operating procedures and calibration methods) to ensure high standards of quality assurance and quality control, and oversee continuous QA improvement efforts in collaboration with Instrument Lab group members and the IHIL Responsible Individual. Serve as a backup for the IHIL Responsible Individual.
– Provide technical support and solve moderately complex technical problems under minimal supervision while working with a high degree of maturity, discretion and judgment.
– Oversee and maintain the IGOR2 EAM computer tracking system used for inventory control of all industrial hygiene portable instrumentation. Enter instrument repair and calibration data into this specific computer tracking system. Monitor work activities and results stored in IHIL databases to identify trends that may indicate an unrecognized problem. Order instruments and supplies using LLNL systems.
– Perform other duties as assigned.
– Associate degree in Occupational Safety or related field or equivalent combination of education and related experience.
– Demonstrated advanced technical knowledge of ES&H and independent analytical, decision making and problem-solving skills to acquire and analyze moderately complex data, report results and identify and solve complex technical problems.
– Experience operating and maintaining health and safety related measurement and/or monitoring equipment or other analytical equipment of similar complexity.
– Effective interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills to write clear technical documentation for the purposes of documenting surveys, maintenance, work performance, and providing comprehensive technical guidance and training.
– Ability to work independently and in a team environment in a fast-paced, schedule-driven environment using basic organizational and analytical skills with attention to detail, accuracy and follow-through.
– Ability to apply torque, forceful gripping, pressing and pushing with hands and arms, climb ladders up to a height of 30 ft. and carry up to 30 lbs. Able to perform extensive bending, standing, stooping, crouching, twisting, kneeling, balancing, climb stairs, work outside, and work with toxic and radioactive materials. Able to work on roofs, manlifts.
– Basic electronics background dealing with instrumentation.
– Basic knowledge or background dealing with HEPA filter testing.
– Familiarity with the LINCS procurement system.
How To Apply
To apply directly, please visit: http://careers-llnl.ttcportals.com/jobs/3005369-sr-scientific-technologist
$35.46 to $43.70 P/Hr